The word Kermesse may mean festival or fair. I decided to use it for this blog, since here I would present a festival of crafts and arts done by myself... and 365 refers to the number of days in a year. The idea started churning in my mind when I came across http://makesomething365.blogspot.com/. The main concept of my blog is to show a piece of art or some craft on a daily basis for 365 days. Some of them I’m well familiar with, while others are completely new. Hope you’ll enjoy this year long journey and feel free to leave any comments.

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Day 10 Decorating candles

Today I will be decorating candles. You can use practically anything. Here I’m decorating the candle with permanent colours that can be applied to various things, including, fabric, glass, paper and wood. They come in different colours and effects (glitter, pearl) and give a 3D appearance. You can also apply flowers or pearls, sequins and rhinestones with multi-purpose glue.

Note: check that the decorative material is safe near flames if you intend to use the candle other than for decoration. Burning paint may give off noxious fumes, hazardous to your health!

You need:
Candle
Colours, permanent
Pencil
Marker
Stencil (optional; search for swirl images)
Steady hand ;-)
Glue & pearls or other decorative material
Useful: toothpicks and wet wipes



Start by decorating the candle with designs. I did mine freehand, but if you have a stencil you can use it. The pencil didn’t show on the candle so I opted for a permanent marker. Go over the marker with the chosen colour.



Simply continue applying colours according to the design or idea you have. The toothpick is useful to remove any extra colour you might have applied (thus the steady hand!). You can also remove it with the tip of the pencil. Remove the paint from the pencil using a wet wipe.
Ideally, you should let the colour dry before applying flowers or sequins etc. This will avoid mess!!


No comments:

Post a Comment