The word Kermesse may mean festival or fair. I decided to use it for this blog, since here I would present a festival of crafts and arts done by myself... and 365 refers to the number of days in a year. The idea started churning in my mind when I came across http://makesomething365.blogspot.com/. The main concept of my blog is to show a piece of art or some craft on a daily basis for 365 days. Some of them I’m well familiar with, while others are completely new. Hope you’ll enjoy this year long journey and feel free to leave any comments.

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Day 17 Giftbox lid with aperture

A pretty productive day with particular thanks to my son who has slept for most of the night :-) Happy woman’s day.
Well I’m making a lid for the box I did yesterday. It is much the same but with a few alterations. You will need to add a couple of mms for the top to fit nicely into the base, so if you are thinking of doing both base and lid you can practically draw the pattern for both at the same time. I did not do it this way since I wasn’t sure I would be doing the lid!

So you will need:
Paper or card;
if the box is smaller than A4 you might even use photo paper maybe with some photos printed on it (could be tricky)
Pencil
Ruler
Scissors and craft-knife
Double-sided tape or glue
Acetate plastic sheet

Draw the pattern acoording to the measurements you have for the base and remember to add a couple of mms (usually 2 are enough, depends on the thickness of the card). Also make sure that the height of the sides are all equal in size (shown by arrows in picture) especially if you’re folding over the edges. Prepare the folds but don’t fold it just yet as its easier to work on a flat area.


Next, draw the shape of the aperture (I did a rectangle but you can do any shape), draw a slightly larger rectangle just outside the other one and draw diagonal lines at the corner. Cut the diagonal lines with a craft knife, making sure to protect the working surface under the card with a cutting mat or a thick piece of cardboard.


Cut the inside rectangle and fold over the lines till the diagonal cuttings. This step is done to have a clean edge around the aperture. Apply some double-sided tape or glue all around, fold over and press. Cut a piece of acetate plastic width and length 1 cm larger than the aperture window. Apply ds tape and fix in place.









Away from the aperture: apply some glue or ds tape at the corners and fix these first before folding all the edges so that these are neatly covered.

Fold all the other edges, place over the base and you’re done!





Have a great day... now off to prepare lentil burgers and minestrone in preparation for Ash Wednesday, veg and veal soup for the cute little one and pancakes for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment