The word Kermesse may mean festival or fair. I decided to use it for this blog, since here I would present a festival of crafts and arts done by myself... and 365 refers to the number of days in a year. The idea started churning in my mind when I came across http://makesomething365.blogspot.com/. The main concept of my blog is to show a piece of art or some craft on a daily basis for 365 days. Some of them I’m well familiar with, while others are completely new. Hope you’ll enjoy this year long journey and feel free to leave any comments.

Saturday 19 March 2011

Day 28 Courgette (Marrow) Cake

This is rather interesting. Yesyerday I prepared & cooked some filled Courgettes (the round ones) and reserved the inner white pulp for this cake. The cake is really moist and tasty, you would never imagine having courgettes in it. I don't know if it contributes to the 5-a-day of fruit and veg, but to make you feel less guilty for eating cake, let's say it does!




I got the recipe from http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8114/marrow-cake.aspx


Ingredients
3 eggs beaten
400g caster sugar (I used 350g and I guess even 300g would have been enough)
250ml vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
375g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground nutmeg
225g grated marrow (used about 300g, chopped roughly)



Method
Preheat oven to 170C or Gas mark 3. Grease two 1lb loaf tins, or one 20x30 cm baking dish. An ungreased silicon dish works just as fine.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy with an electric mixer. Beat in the sugar, oil and vanilla. Gradually mix in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Fold in the marrow, do not mix it with the beater. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
Bake for 45 minutes (mine needed 55), until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Enjoy with a nice cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate... yummy!








No comments:

Post a Comment